Sooner or later, it’s necessary to replace rechargeable batteries in solar lights. Rechargeable batteries are crucial for solar-powered lights to function well. The best types of batteries for solar lights should have a high capacity and charge effectively. Replacing rechargeable batteries in solar lights will ensure your lights shine all night long.
It’s vital to know what to look for when choosing high-quality rechargeable batteries to power solar lights. One of the most important considerations is the battery mAh rating. mAh stands for milliamp per hour, and this figure tells you the battery’s storage capacity. Generally, the higher the mAh rating, the longer the battery lasts between charges.
The first thing to consider before thinking about replacing batteries in your solar panel is to see if the batteries are removable. Some of the cheaper solar lighting units have built-in batteries that you can’t remove. If you can replace the batteries, your next step is to find the best replacements.
The Best Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
It can be challenging knowing the best type of rechargeable battery to replace the existing ones in your solar lights. That is why we’ve picked the best eight batteries that are currently for sale. Our unbiased review looks at the pros and cons of each battery to help you decide on the best ones.
1. AmazonBasics AA Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights
Amazon produces its own brand of rechargeable AA batteries for use in solar lighting units. These batteries are suitable for a wide range of applications. With their 2,000 mAh capacity and 1,000 charge cycles, they should last a couple of years in solar lights. According to Amazon, the batteries keep 80% of their capacity for up to two years.
This pack of 8 rechargeable batteries is cost-effective when compared with similar brands.
- Self-discharge technology
- 2,000 mAh
- Come pre-charged
- Good price
- Quality is unreliable as Amazon seems to keep changing suppliers
2. Energizer Rechargeable AA Batteries for Solar Lighting
Energizer is a brand leader when it comes to high-quality batteries for solar lights. The batteries in this pack of 8 AA rechargeable batteries have a high 2,000 mAh capacity and can be charged up to 1,000 times. Under regular use, and fully charged, the battery should power solar lights for up to 8 hours. Also, the batteries have self-discharge technology that keeps them working well for up to five years.
One of the most eco-friendly rechargeable batteries because they are made of four percent recycled batteries.
- Long-lasting batteries for solar lights
- Made with recycled materials
- One charge can last up to 12 months in storage
- 5-year usable battery life
- Some users complain that they don’t hold their charge well under regular use
3. GEILIENERGY Solar Light Rechargeable Batteries
Another of the top-selling rechargeable batteries is this pack of 8 by Geilienergy. These AA batteries are suitable to replace lower capacity batteries in solar lights. Despite the fact their capacity is only 1,000 mAh, they hold their charge for up to six hours. The low cost of these batteries is one of the reasons they are a popular choice for powering solar lights.
These rechargeable batteries for solar-powered lights are high-quality with a long life cycle and low self-discharge.
- Low-cost replacement batteries
- 1,000 charging cycles
- Rapid charge
- They don’t charge well in overcast conditions
4. Eneloop AA Rechargeable Batteries
One of the best replacement batteries for solar lights is this 24-pack of AA batteries. The high-capacity batteries have a rating of 2,000 mAh and can be charged up to 2,100 times. These powerful rechargeable batteries maintain up to 70 percent of their charge for up to ten years. The batteries come pre-charged, so you can start using them in solar lights immediately.
The pack of 24 batteries means there are enough batteries for all your solar garden lights.
- Hi-capacity batteries for a reasonable cost
- Long-lasting and will keep in storage for up to 10 years
- Low energy discharge
- 2,1000 life cycles
- Operate in temperatures as low as -4°F
- Fast charge
- Expensive if you don’t need 24 batteries
5. Tenergy AA Rechargeable NiCD Battery for Outdoor Solar Lights
If you’re looking for low-cost rechargeable batteries for garden solar lights, then this 24-pack by Tenergy is the best choice. The AA batteries have a charging capacity of 1,000 mAh and are a better option than pre-installed 800 mAh rechargeable batteries. Because you get 24 rechargeable batteries, you can also use them in other devices in your home.
Choose rechargeable batteries for solar power as they are Eco-friendlier than single-use alkaline batteries.
- Last longer than similar capacity NiMH batteries
- Pack of 24 rechargeable solar light batteries
- Excellent value for money
- Don’t hold their charge throughout the night
6. EBL AA Rechargeable Batteries for Solar Lights Replacement
These EBL rechargeable batteries contain one of the highest capacity of all the ones in the review. The pack includes 16 high-capacity batteries with a 2,300 mAh rating. EBL batteries can also be recharged up to 1,200 times, meaning they will last for years. The manufacturer claims that the rechargeable batteries keep 80% of their capacity up to three years of storage.
One of the best rechargeable batteries for performance in solar-powered lights. Excellent for high-power, high-demand devices.
- Up to 1,200 rechargeable cycles
- Comes pre-charged by solar power
- Durable rechargeable batteries
- The high-capacity means they take longer to charge
7. HyperPS LiFePo4 400mAh Rechargeable Battery for Solar Panel Light
The rechargeable batteries for solar lights by HyperPS have one of the best voltage ratings—3.2V. Although the capacity seems low at 400 mAh, this means that they have a superfast charging time. So, even on cloudy days, there should be enough light to charge the battery. Unlike the other NiCd or NiMH batteries, this uses LiFePo4 (lithium iron phosphate), which is a more efficient energy source.
Please note, this replacement battery for solar-powered lights is a 14430 type of battery, not AA size.
- High voltage and high-capacity battery for rechargeable solar lights
- Long lifetime
- Suitable for solar lights that require shorter batteries than standard AA
- Batteries don’t hold their charge well
8. BONAI Low Self Discharge AA Rechargeable Batteries Solar Lighting
One of the most powerful rechargeable batteries on our review is this pack of 16 by Bonai. The batteries have a whopping 2,800 mAh and 1.2 volts. Also, the long-lasting solar rechargeable batteries keep up to 80% of their charge while in storage. Not just for use in exterior solar lights, these rechargeable batteries are suitable for high-powered demanding devices.
Bonai rechargeable batteries are the batteries of choice for replacing garden solar light batteries.
- Self-discharge technology
- 2,800 mAh
- Recharge up to 1,200 times
- Useful for multiple devices that require AA batteries
What to Consider When Choosing Batteries
When choosing rechargeable batteries for solar lights, the most critical factors are capacity and charge time. Rechargeable batteries need to charge efficiently in all types of light. High capacity means that your garden solar lights stay bright all night.
Here are some of the options to consider before buying rechargeable batteries for solar lights.
- Battery power capacity—As a minimum, look for rechargeable batteries with a minimum of 1,000 mAh. This battery capacity should hold a charge for between six and eight hours. Remember that batteries with a higher capacity will power garden LED lights for longer, but they will also take longer to charge.
- Size of battery—Before buying replacement batteries for your solar light batteries, check to see the size. Most solar lights take between one and four AA batteries. However, some take other sizes of batteries.
- Type of battery—The kind of rechargeable batteries are nickel-cadmium (NiCd or NiCad), nickel-metal hybrid (NiMH), and lithium-phosphate (LiFePO4). NiCd batteries use older technology and are generally lightweight. However, they are not popular for using in solar lights. NiMH is the most popular type of rechargeable for solar lights. They hold more charge and are more Eco-friendly. LiFePO4 batteries are an excellent choice as they tend to make solar lights shine brighter for longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a battery charger to charge solar light batteries?
It’s possible to charge solar light batteries in a battery charger. Although the sun’s energy regularly charges batteries during daylight, you can charge them in a charger to boost their capacity. Doing this can help keep your lights shining even in days where there is little sunlight.
Do you need to use special batteries in solar powered garden lights?
Most solar-powered garden light batteries use standard batteries in the charging units. Before buying high-quality, rechargeable batteries, check to see the size of the battery you need. Most garden solar lights require AA rechargeable batteries. However, some take AAA or 14430 (shorter than standard AA).
What sort of batteries do you use for solar-powered lights?
You can use standard alkaline batteries or rechargeable batteries for solar lights. It’s not advisable to use alkaline batteries as they will only last for a day to two. When choosing rechargeable batteries for solar garden lights, choose high-capacity ones that will hold a charge for between six and eight hours.
How long will solar batteries last for?
The best rechargeable solar batteries should last for many years. Some high-quality batteries hold up to 80 percent of their charge while in storage for between three and five years. This means that buying the best type of batteries will keep your solar lights shining bright every night for many years.