Solar-powered security cameras are a vital tool in a robust home security system. The main reason to install solar security cameras is to provide 24-hr surveillance around your home. Installing a camera over your front door allows you to know who is at your home.
Most high-quality solar security cameras have wireless connectivity so you can monitor your home wherever you are. Many also allow for two-way talk and connection to Google Assistant or Amazon’s Alexa.
Choosing the ideal solar-powered security cameras can be challenging. For solar CCTV cameras to work effectively, they need solar panels that charge efficiently and batteries that hold power. Also, you need to consider factors such as night vision, communications, and online surveillance storage.
Overview of the Best Solar Security Cameras
The Top 8 Solar-Powered Security Cameras
We have reviewed the top eight solar-powered security cameras that are currently for sale. In addition to looking at each camera’s various features, we’ve examined each unit’s pros and cons to give our unbiased opinion.
1. Reolink Argus 2 Outdoor Solar-Powered Security Camera
Reolink Argus 2 is one of the best solar cameras due to its excellent functionality. The security camera is fully customizable so that you can adjust sensitivity, resolution, and alerts. You also get two video storage options—cloud storage or a micro SD card. Depending on your Reolink plan, you can add up to ten CCTV solar security cameras.
Another incredible feature of the Argus 2 is that you can connect to virtual assistants. With simple voice commands, you can observe who is in your property or at your front door. The two-way voice feature and wireless capability allow you to talk to anyone from anywhere.
- A relatively cheap price tag
- Large efficient solar panel
- Fully customizable
- Free 7-day cloud storage
- Remotely access your camera from any mobile device
- Picture resolution could be better
- Motion detection is delayed
2. Ring Stick Up Cam Plug-In HD security
Ring is the leader when it comes to solar-powered security devices for residential properties. The Ring Stick Up Cam is unobtrusive, yet fully functional. The Ring solar camera allows for two-way conversation and connects wirelessly to Alexa. Also, you can connect multiple cameras to monitor your whole property—even remote areas.
The best thing about Ring solar-powered cameras is that you can connect it to other Ring devices. The camera connects to your mobile devices, property motion sensors, and driveway alarms.
- Free theft protection guarantee
- Compatible with other Ring security products
- Excellent recording resolution
- Cloud recording up to 60 days
- Easily connects to Wi-Fi
- Cloud storage requires an additional plan
- Notifications don’t always work
3. SOLIOM Wireless Outdoor Solar Battery Security Camera
The Soliom solar-powered security camera is made from durable plastic and is fully waterproof. The security camera automatically starts recording when it senses motion. The camera records in 1080p resolution and can record up to 50 feet. As with the best solar security cameras, this unit also features night vision and recording.
One of the best features is its battery capacity. Many users say that the camera works for up to 10 hours on a full charge. This is essential if you live in areas with low sunshine.
- Large battery capacity
- Like all solar security cameras, no wiring is necessary
- Sends notifications directly to your mobile device
- Two-way audio communication
- Ugly design
- Confusing interface
- Doesn’t connect to virtual assistants
4. AKASO Wireless Solar-Powered Security Camera
The AKASO solar camera is effortless to mount and install in your desired location. The security camera charges continuously throughout the day to provide 24/7 surveillance of your property. The camera also features a sleek design that complements any contemporary property.
The camera has some excellent features: crisp night vision, HD recording in 1080p resolution, motion sensor, and two-way talk.
- Connects to virtual assistants—Google and Alexa
- Two-way audio communication
- Reliable audio system
- Nice design
- PIR Motion detection
- Users report some issue with quality control
5. Koogeek Solar-Power Wireless Outdoor Security Camera
Another outstanding security camera that works with solar power is this unit by Koogeek. The camera features a solar panel mounted on the camera. The adjustable panels make it easy to direct them towards the sun. The recording is in 1080p resolution, and the wide-angled lens detects a wide range of motion. Record to the cloud or on a micro SD card.
The Koogeek solar power security camera has two-way audio. You get instant push notifications within one second of anyone entering your property. The three powerful wireless antennas keep the camera connected to Wi-Fi, even in poor weather or remote locations.
- PIR motion detection to distinguish between people and objects
- Two-way audio
- Connect cameras up to 10 mobile devices simultaneously
- Crisp night vision
- Can be powered via a micro USB port in poor weather
- You need to pay for cloud storage
- Solar panels are at the angle of the camera, so may have charging issues in some locations
6. Zumimall Solar-Powered Security Camera System
The Zumimall solar security camera is a low-cost but high-quality surveillance solution to increase security at your property. The compact camera can be installed anywhere on your property to alert you to visitors or intruders. You can also adjust the sensitivity to minimize the number of false alerts. The camera wirelessly connects to your Wi-Fi network and allows up to ten users.
An excellent feature of this solar security camera system is installing the solar panel remotely from the camera. This means you can optimize solar charging by installing the panel in an optimal location
- Easy to install in a matter of minutes
- PIR intelligent motion detection
- Receive instant alerts
- HD recording and clear night vision
- Cloud storage isn’t free
- Users complain of poor motion detection
7. ieGeek Outdoor Security Camera Solar Power
The ieGeek solar-powered home surveillance system is an excellent choice to improve security. This solar camera features one of the best quality video recording from all the cameras reviewed. The solar CCTV camera has four infrared LEDs that provide excellent clear night vision. Due to the 130° ultra-wide-angle lens, you’ll be able to record much of what happens on your property.
As with the best solar-powered security cameras, the ieGeek camera has two-way voice communication. Other incredible features include instant notifications, real-time monitoring, and the option to add multiple users.
- Full HD 1080p recording at 30 frames per second
- 130° wide-angled lens
- Instant push notification
- Excellent crystal-clear night vision
- 360-degree solar panel charging
- Storage to micro SD card or the cloud
- Only connects to mobile devices, no PC compatibility
8. Reolink Argus PT Solar-Powered Security Camera
This Reolink solar security camera is one of the best in our review for increasing home security. The camera pans up to 355° horizontally and tilts 140° vertically to cover your whole property. The full HD 1080p recording gives sharp daytime and nighttime surveillance. With easy wireless connection to your Wi-Fi network, you can get a live feed of your front or backyard at any time.
One of the benefits of the Reolink Argus PT security camera is its free 1-GB cloud storage plan. You also have two-way audio options, connection to virtual assistants, and connection to mobile devices.
- Adjustable solar security camera with 355° pan and 140° tilt
- Enhanced night vision up to 33 feet
- Install the solar panel separately from the solar CCTV camera
- Free 1GB cloud storage with Reolink software
- High-quality recording
- No alternative power source—only solar power
What to Consider Before Purchasing a Security Camera
When it comes to solar-powered security solutions for your home, buying a security camera is essential. The possibility of 24/7 surveillance gives you peace of mind that you know who is on your property. However, with multiple options of security cameras, what should you look for in a high-quality solar-powered security camera?
Here are a few factors to consider when purchasing a solar camera system:
- Full HD Recording—Make sure the security camera records in 1080p resolution. There’s no point having grainy, pixelated recordings where you can’t recognize who is approaching your property.
- Night Vision—Solar-powered security cameras charge during the day so that they can work through the night. Your camera must have excellent recording in the dark. After all, most crimes take place under cover of darkness.
- Storage Options—All wireless solar cameras have storage options—either cloud storage or micro SD cards, or both. Some security camera options have free cloud storage plans; others are paid for. However, you can always access your recording wirelessly, whether on the micro SD card or cloud.
- Communication—The best solar security cameras allow you to communicate with whoever is at your front door. For example, suppose you have a delivery, and you’re not home. In that case, you can instruct the delivery person where to leave the package.
- Virtual Assistants—Connecting to virtual assistants makes home security so much easier. By giving Google Assistant or Amazon’s Alexa commands, you can instantly see live feeds from your property.
Reasons for Buying a Security Camera
Solar-powered security cameras help to increase security around your home. Knowing that CCTV cameras act as a deterrent and you have 24/7 surveillance gives you peace of mind. Also, you can speak with people at your front door without physically being there.
Here are three additional reasons for purchasing a wireless solar security camera:
- Remote monitoring—Most solar-powered cameras connect to your home’s Wi-Fi. This function allows you to monitor your property wherever you are—even if you’re not home. You can also watch your children when they’re playing outside in the yard.
- Prevent theft—Security cameras act as a deterrent to would-be burglars. A well-placed solar camera will make someone think twice before committing a crime on your property.
- Indisputable evidence—If someone does commit a crime or damages your property, you have video evidence to use in criminal or civil lawsuits.
Places to Install a Security Camera
Install security cameras where burglars are likely to get access to your home. The most common place to install solar security cameras is over the front door. However, you may need to install cameras around the perimeter of your property. Also, installing two cameras at different angles at your front door increases security and know exactly who is knocking at your door.
Solar security cameras have many benefits. Apart from monitoring your property, they work off a renewable energy source—the sun’s rays. Solar panels convert energy from the sun into electrical current. This DC electrical current charges rechargeable batteries in the solar CCTV camera. There is no wiring involved, so you can usually install the security cameras yourself.
After installing the solar outdoor cameras, you have virtually no running costs. What’s more, these Eco-friendly security solutions are cheaper and more cost-effective than you think.