Solar power technology is being used to enable all types of modern lighting solutions to allow them to operate off the grid. They are powered by energy they collect from the sun. Solar yard lights are a great application of this alternative energy solution that can supply all the illumination your yard requires.
These lighting solutions are easy to install, will operate with a switch or automatically and can allow you to easily provide light in areas that are difficult to install conventional fixtures.
Newer Models Are Dramatically More Powerful
When these types of solar powered yard lights were first introduced years ago they were not very popular as it was considered that the light they provided was too dim. Their limited ability to provide adequate illumination was due mainly to the inefficient solar module that was used in their design.
These solar modules did not do a great job of converting the sunlight available to power that could be used to charge their batteries. Over the years these solar modules have been improved to the point that they can now supply more than enough power to keep these solar powered lights lit for an entire evening if needed.
They Can Use Free Power from the Sun
Solar lights use the free sunlight that is available most days as their power source. Inside the fixture of these lights is a solar module that can convert this sunlight into power that charges an internal battery.
The battery can then supply power to the solar powered lights for an entire evening if needed. This makes them easy to use since you no longer have to worry about connecting them to your home’s power.
It also allows the ultimate flexibility in location since you can mount them virtually anywhere there is sunlight to charge them. These solar yard lights are available in a number of different styles that range from models that cover a wide area of your property, such as solar floodlights , to ones with a more focused beam of light to illuminate a specific area.
There are also a wide variety of choices in sizes and colors of these solar powered yard lights, which makes it easy to find the perfect match for your home.
5 Benefits of Using Solar Lights Around the Yard
Free landscape lighting is the principal benefit of installing solar yard lights. Typically, solar-powered lighting units are cheap to buy. Other benefits include that no wiring is necessary, cost nothing to run, and don’t have any environmental impact. Additionally, there are solar outdoor garden lights for every type of property.
Let’s look in more detail at five benefits of illuminating your yard with solar landscape lighting.
1. Solar yard lights are low-cost lighting solutions
Buying solar-powered yard lights is a budget-friendly way to get the amount of lighting you require around your yard. After the initial cost, solar lighting is free, and keeping your yard illuminated won’t add to your energy bills. Also, both LED lighting and Lithium batteries are long-lasting and don’t need maintenance.
2. Solar-powered yard lights are clean energy
Solar yard lights use the cleanest and most renewable form of energy—sunlight. Switching to solar lighting is a great way to cut down on reliance on fossil fuels, leading to a cleaner planet and a healthier environment.
3. Solar-powered garden lights are convenient
Another benefit of solar LED yard light is their convenience. First, there is no wiring necessary to set up the lights. Once installed, the LED lights automatically switch on at dusk and switch off in the morning.
4. Solar lighting is easy to install
You can install solar lighting fixtures anywhere in your yard—as long as the solar panel gets direct sunlight. There are solar lights suitable for any part of your front or backyard. Solar lighting is for driveways, patios, ponds, pathways, flagpoles, fences, sheds, or garages. All you need to do is install the light wherever you need illumination in your yard.
5. The best solar light for yards increase security
Increased property security is a significant benefit of solar lighting. The brightest solar lights have motion sensors that switch on whenever someone approaches your property. Even if the power cuts out, solar landscape lighting continues to shine.
6 Things to Consider When Buying Solar-Powered Yard Lights
Installing solar lights in your yard is a great option to illuminate outdoor spaces. But, how can you pick the best ones for your garden landscape? Here are six factors to consider before purchasing solar yard lights:
- Functionality—First, determine which areas of your yard require outdoor lighting. Solar yard lights are designed for paths, fences, security, landscape illumination, and hanging from trees or posts.
- Light location—Make sure that solar lights are installed where the photovoltaic cells get enough sunlight. Remember that as the sun moves during the day, it can cast shadows on your yard.
- Local weather conditions—Solar yard lights depend on sunlight. The solar panel will take longer to charge if you live in an area that frequently experiences rain or overcast conditions. So, make sure and buy one that has efficient charging capacities.
- Solar Light efficiency—The efficiency rating measures the percentage of the sun’s energy that the photovoltaic cells can convert into DC current. The best solar yard lights for winter conditions should have a conversion rating of around 20 percent.
- Solar yard light design—Solar garden lights should match your property’s look and enhance your landscape aesthetics. You can choose yard solar lights that have a contemporary, vintage, antique, or stylistic design.
- Best Brands—The best solar yard light brands generally help ensure that you get the best quality for the price. To search for the best brands in solar-powered yard lighting, check out users’ reviews and comparison websites.
Solar Powered Yard Lights Can Help Make Your Home More Secure
It’s a fact that homes with adequate exterior lighting suffer fewer burglaries than darker homes. By installing a few solar lights you can help secure your home. Provide illumination to allow your family and guests to enjoy your yard in the evenings. You could install some Solar Gutter Lights, which will light up when someone walks along the foot path. Which will give you light when coming home late at night, and also gives you security deterring would be burglars.
Some solar lights will operate automatically and turn on when they sense movement in the immediate area. They have a motion sensor incorporated into their design that can be used to control the light and will ensure the light turns on when you need it.
This also helps with the security of your home since anyone approaching the house will trigger the solar powered yard lights. These systems can help to give you additional peace of mind as well as providing all the light you need for enjoying your yard after dark.